Thursday, January 14, 2010

Introduction to Jan.-Feb. 2010 trip

From January 25 to February 16 I will be traveling to France and Zambia on a mission project. As I travel, I am hoping to keep you updated on this mission by posts to this blog. Of course, the frequency of posts will also depend on the type of Internet availability at the conference center in Zambia.

The first week of the trip will be for advancing a catechism project along with a French pastor near Paris.

For the second 10-day period I will accompany the leaders of an international mission organization based in France to a church leaders’ conference being held in Zambia, in southern Africa. I will mainly be helping as an English-French interpretor/translator.

These two very different projects will be followed by 6 days in southern France to tie up some administrative loose ends following our move.

To prepare for this, my first trip to sub-Saharan Africa, I had to get a variety of vaccinations. I think there were a total of 6. No, they weren’t really bad at all – no reactions and only one of them left my arm slightly sore. These were all completed early in January.

The next challenge is to figure out how to pack lightly but still be ready for several days in both the dead of winter in Paris (i.e. cold and damp) and the middle of summer and the middle of the rainy season in Zambia which is in the southern hemisphere (i.e. hot and humid)! The only common denominator seems to be humidity.

I am rather excited about being able to cross the equator and visit the Southern Hemisphere! I guess I can let you know what it feels like to be walking upside down (well, maybe not quite like trying to dig through to China like we all did as a kid!!).

The following posts give more information about what I will be doing, where I will be going, and how you can be praying for me and others both before and during this trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment