Friday, January 29, 2010

Life of a French church

I jumped back immediately into the whirlwind of life in a French church. There is no staff so it is the pastor and his wife who handle everything with the help of available volunteers. I am staying in a “guest room” located in the back of the church but take my noon and evening meals with the pastor’s family (4 little boys 10, 8, 6 and 14 months), so I’m following their daily routine closely.

This church is located in a building that was a former grocery store, so it is on the same village square as the elementary school, pharmacy, bread store, hairdresser, bank …. This has permitted the church to have a recognized place in the life of the surrounding community. On Tuesday after school a “help with homework” group meets in the church. At lunchtime an immigrant mother and her children bring their picnic lunch and eat it in the church. On Thursday a volunteer came in to type up the church newsletter. For two days someone has been here setting up for filming testimonies on Friday and Saturday. People are in and out frequently.

Working around my adjustment to the time change, the pastor and I worked 5 or 6 hours a day on the catechism material. We progressed well! The first-year material is completed except for the last 3 lessons and finalizing the supplementary reference materials for each lesson. There are 24 lessons in all. After leaving here, I will also go over what has been done already on the second year course. I helped the pastor install Skype yesterday, so we will be able to consult face-to-face now on, from wherever I am!

Slight change in plans: Instead of leaving for Zambia Sunday evening from CDG airport in Paris, I will be taking the high-speed train to Montpellier on Saturday and leave from there with the rest of the group.


No comments:

Post a Comment