Sunday, February 14, 2010

visit to the town of Kabwe




The seminar work finished on Friday afternoon so Saturday was a free day. We all climbed into one of the local blue and white minibuses that make up the transportation system and spent a couple of hours in Kabwe. This was the first morning that it didn’t rain at all so we were able to wander around freely. People, people, people everywhere – crowding the sidewalks, standing in lines, gathered at the open market, walking down the sides of the street. My first problem was that of knowing how to cross a street. Traffic comes first from the right and then from the left – and my intuition is to first look left, then right. I had to hop out of the way of a small truck turning into my lane from the right as I was just stepping off the sidewalk!


The Zambians are respectful and friendly. I, as the only white woman wandering around town, obviously felt that I stood out. There were a couple of merchants that would call out “Madam, Madam!” as I walked by, but there were no “beggars” and I was never hustled. Three little girls about 7 to 10 asked me to take their picture when they saw my camera. After I took it, I showed it to them and they were pleased, but didn’t ask for money.

There were several of us walking around together, I being the only white person. Near the market one man asked me if we were with the government or something. When I told him we were with the United Church of Zambia, he immediately relaxed and his attitude changed to one of welcome. One of the men selling vegetables asked who we were, wandering around like that! When I said we were with the UCZ, he pointed to his partner and said, “he is a UCZ member”. The partner and I then chatted for a few minutes. The UCZ is an institution in this country and apparently commands much respect. For me this morning, pronouncing the name of the church was like having access to a “magic word” that opened friendly conversation with total strangers. There are several churches in Kabwe. Just in the little we have moved around the area we saw a Presbyterian Church, an Independent Baptist Church, an Anglican Church, and a Seventh Day Adventist Church. There are probably others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment